Friday, March 13, 2009

NYC Celebrity Street Sightings


I am often lucky enough to spot celebrities here on the streets of NYC, and many times I blog about it. In fact, my "Celebrity Sighting" posts this week prompted a little discussion as to why I don't speak to these famous people when I see them.

First of all, as I've said before - I'm a big wuss. Unlike my blog persona, in real life I am actually quite shy and reserved around strangers. But the main reason I don't speak to street-walking celebrities is because real New Yorkers NEVER make a fuss over famous people on the street. We leave that to the tourists. Besides, a real New Yorker thinks he or she is just as important as Tara Reid or Rodney Allen Rippy.

Below are just a few celebs I've spotted during my 16+ years in NYC. BTW - all pictures were obtained via Google - I did NOT take any of them.


Project Runway's Tim Gunn in the Garment District. He looked absolutely adorable...



Cute and hilarious papi John Leguizamo - with his wife at my local A&P supermarket. John's stank wife was loudly complaining to the cashier about whether a box of pasta was on sale or not. John kept telling her to forget about, but she wouldn't let it go and he looked absolutely humiliated...



Paul McCartney and his then-wife Heather Mills walking on 57th Street in Midtown. It was pretty cool to get a glimpse of one of the world's biggest stars - live and in person. And seeing Paul McCartney was neat too...



Country music stars Faith Hill and Tim McGraw with their kids on Central Park South. Tim McGraw is HOT...


Good Morning America's Sam Champion, holding hands on 8th Avenue with his (rumored) boyfriend Sean Bell (below left). Quite the handsome couple...



I've seen Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker multiple times near my job in the Village - which is where they live.


But by far the most important "celeb" I ever saw was the late John F. Kennedy, Jr. And I was fortunate enough to see him TWICE.

The first time I saw JFK Jr., he rode his bike onto the sidewalk directly in front of me. He was wearing a business suit and was probably on his way to/from the offices of his magazine - George. I had walked out of my office building and all of a sudden JFK was about six feet in front of me. I froze and without thinking I uttered these words - LOUDLY:

"OH MY GOD! It's JFK Junior!" So much for being a cool New Yorker and not making a fuss. Jackie O's baby boy definitely heard me - because he looked up, smiled, and kept on biking...


The second time I saw Junior, he was rollerblading - SHIRTLESS - on 8th Avenue. "Beautiful" doesn't begin to describe how incredibly handsome he was...



One of these days I'll share some stories of the celebrities I encountered through my former Events Management jobs at the Hard Rock Cafe and (the now defunct) Motown Cafe.