Monday, February 23, 2009

A "Bad Gay" Talks About the Oscars


I am a bad Gay. I am a bad Gay because I don’t really like awards shows – especially the Oscars. I really don’t care much about the fashions (BAD Gay!), and I did not see one nominated movie from last night’s ceremony - not even Milk (BAD Gay!). In all honesty, I only saw one movie in a movie theater this past year – and it was Madagascar II (VERY Bad Gay!).

But I must say, the parts of last night’s Oscars I watched last night were pretty good. I thought Hugh Jackman’s opening number (with the charismatic Anne Hathaway, below) was fantastic. Whether Jackman is gay, straight, or bi – he is a natural song-and-dance man. I had the pleasure of seeing "Huge Ackman" (thanks Bob!) on Broadway in The Boy From Oz, and he was phenomenal. And I'm not one of those Queens who drools over Mr. Jackman's physical beauty (BAD Gay!), because I'm not as fond of the White Meat as some of you good Gays.


However, the musical number with Beyonce/Sasha Fierce and Miss Zac Ephron was HORRIBLE. Michael K, the hysterical blogger at DListed was live-blogging last night – although he calls it “Drunkblogging”. Here are a couple of his comments:


“This shit isn’t even good enough for a Carnival Cruise ship”. And when Beyonce broke into a couple of bars of “At Last”, Michael exclaimed “WTF?!? Etta James just fucking exploded!!!” Maybe I should “Drunkblog” the finale of Tool Academy?...

Anywhoo, Dustin Lance Black’s (below left, with Cleve Jones) acceptance speech made me sob. Mostly because I wish someone had said those words on an Oscar telecast when I was a little gay kid. And Sean Penn also made me cry when he talked about Proposition 8.


But the highlight of the evening was Sophia Friggin Loren. Go ahead and diss her Annie Oakley Gold Rush Hooker gown all you want. That bitch is 74 years old! She can wear whatever the HELL she wants! And when Ms. Loren put her hand on her hip before honoring Meryl Streep, it was the ultimate Diva Moment. YOU BETTER WORK!!!!