Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Random Crap About David...


Everyone is doing these damn lists lately (I blame FaceSpace and MyBook) - so here are 30 random things about me...

1. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and moved to New York City 16 ½ years ago. PA and NY are the only two states I have ever lived in.

2. I hate chocolate milk, ice cream, cookies, brownies, syrup and/or cake – but I love milk chocolate candy.

3. Although I studied Journalism at Penn State, I finally graduated with a degree in General Arts & Sciences after 6 years of … ahem … “study”.

4. My hair was always my “thing”. When it started thinning and I shaved it off, I missed it almost immediately. I now understand why people wear toupees.

5. I almost never read books. I spend too much time on the Internet to read.

6. While growing up I was absolutely terrified of gym class. I even managed to get a waiver for one of my Phys. Ed. credits at Penn State - they let me take an “Alcohol Awareness” class instead. I got an “A” – I was/am VERY aware of alcohol.

7. Although I live in the one of the most exciting cities in the world, I very rarely do anything “different”. I have never even been to the Statue of Liberty.

8. Likewise, I live mere blocks away from the Broadway theater district, but I rarely see any shows. I used to go when I had friends in the industry who gave me free tickets, but not so much anymore.

9. I have a horrible habit of assuming that I am smarter and/or funnier than most people. This is the first time I have ever admitted this to anyone.

10. I am extremely impressed when I meet someone who is funnier than I am. I can count on my fingers the number of people who truly make me laugh. My best friend is one of them.

11. I vowed to move to NYC after a one-day bus trip to Manhattan with my Mom when I was 13-years-old.

12. I miss the seediness and danger of the city I saw on that day in 1980. It was raw and sexual and full of energy. The city today resembles one big shopping mall.

13. I will watch any of the six Star Wars movies, or any of the three Lord of the Rings movies any time they come on. This is a trait I share with my Dad.

14. My first job in NYC was at Macy’s. I got very skinny while working there because I could barely afford to eat.

15. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. At no point – even at my thinnest – have I ever liked what I looked like.

16. I can count on my fingers the number of times I’ve taken my shirt off in public while in New York City. And even then, it was only while swimming.

17. I don’t have many gay friends anymore – I don’t know why.

18. I would rather eat at McDonald's than Tavern on the Green or Le Cirque.

19. I HATE getting dressed up for anything and don’t have much of an interest in fashion.

20. Extremely thrifty/cheap people really piss me off.

21. I hate when people leave comments on my blog that start with “Um…” or are extremely negative. I have sometimes refused these comments.

22. Vanilla is my favorite flavor of ice cream.

23. I am a complete slob – and am ashamed of it.

24. None of the furniture in my apartment was paid for by me – it is mostly junk that others would have thrown away.

25. I have a loft bed set up in my bedroom, but I don’t ever sleep on it. I sleep on a beat-up old couch in the living room.

26. When I attempt to sleep in a real bed, it is difficult for me to fall asleep.

27. In the past 16 ½ years, I have gone on exactly 2 “dates” – both in the past few months.

28. I am afraid that I will never find my “mate”. I blame this on my weight – rightly or wrongly.

29. I wish I could quit my job and be a full-time Blogger. Blogging has been one of the best things to ever happen to me.

30. I am obsessed with having red stuff in my kitchen. I have red dishes/glasses/utensils – and even a red microwave.