Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bad Times For Magazines


Now is NOT the time to be working in print media. Vibe magazine is the latest title to cease publication - announcing today it will do so "immediately".



In other magazine news, NYC gay bar rag HX magazine (and the HX website) was sold due to the financial instability of parent company HX Media. The new owners of HX will make a statement about their plans for the publication/website soon.

I never really read Vibe, but I was a devout reader of HX Magazine. When I started visiting NYC (from PA), the FIRST thing I tried to do was locate a copy of HX so I could find out what was happening in the club scene. HX started out as a pamphlet (called "Homo Xtra") as a way for party promoter Mark Berkley (and his business partner Matthew Bank) to promote parties at Limelight and other clubs. Soon Homo Xtra added listings for other gay clubs/bars and various places of interest, becoming HX - a must-read for club-loving gays (like me at the time).

With the popularity of the internet, do magazines stand a chance anymore? What magazines do you guys subscribe to and/or read? I think I only subscribe to Vanity Fair now ...