Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dear Internet: I Am Lost Without You


My name is David, and I’m a crack whore for the internet.

Yesterday, when I lost internet service at both work AND home, I got nervous. I spend 40+ hours/week working in a windowless office with no radio or TV, and the internet serves as my link to the outside world. I was afraid that while the internet was down, some emergency would happen and I wouldn’t even know about it. What if (Godbunny forbid) there was another terrorist attack in NYC?!? What if I had to evacuate?!? What if naked pictures of Franky G surfaced?!?!! Needless to say, I was quite relieved when they repaired my connection here at work. But unfortunately there are no naked Franky G pics out there ... yet.

I still have no internet in my apartment – so I actually watched TV last night without the computer next to me. It was bizarre. I am so used to walking into my apartment, setting up my handy-dandy tray table next to my couch, turning on my laptop, and blogging while I watch TV. I’m a multi-tasker!!

I had forgotten what it was like to actually sit down and watch a television show without being distracted. It was a good thing, because the season finale of Lost aired last night, and that’s a show that takes a lot of concentration. And WOW, what a show.

Anywhore, Time-Warner Cable is scheduled to look at my home internet connection on Friday morning, so until then I won’t be around as much as usual.