Sunday, December 21, 2008

Little Britain USA


Little Britain USA is an American spinoff of the British BBC series Little Britain, which stars David Walliams (below left) and Matt Lucas (below right). It is a brilliant sketch comedy, with Walliams and Lucas playing most of the characters. The picture below is of characters "Lou and Andy" - British tourists visiting the United States.


One of my favorite characters is transvestite "Emily Howard", below. "She" walks around saying "I am a LADY", although everyone knows that "she" is a man. When asked where "she" is from, Emily always replies "from the Olden Days!". When asked what "she" does, she replies "I am a LADY, I do LADY things ... I bathe in rose petals ... I skip through meadows ... I play the harp..."


But my favorite character is "Carol Beer" (below) - the nasty receptionist at a Pennsylvania hospital. She is rude to the patients, and is constantly consulting her computer monitor. "Computer says NO!" is her favorite phrase.


You can catch old episodes on HBO, and HBO On-Demand. There are only six shows, but they are well worth your time.