Thursday, August 25, 2011

Artist On The Rise: Shaun "Pynne" Williams


On The 6th Presents Shaun "Pynne" Williams, an artist on the rise. Take a minute and get to know this artist.

Well my name is Shaun “Pynne” Williams, and I am a recording artist and entrepreneur. I am the former marketing manager for "Baby Phat Girlz" by Kimora Lee Simmons.

I am originally from Cleveland, I moved to New Jersey in 1999, I finished High School there and went on to attend Queens borough Community College. There I received an Associate Degree in applied sciences.

While I was attending QCC, I was part of a federal work study where I worked in the school library, had an internship at Phat Fashions and also had a Valet Parking Job. This was all in efforts to get to my ultimate goal, which was to become a successful recording artist.

As far as music is concerned, I started writing way back when I was interning for Def Jam. I interned for Def Jam’s National Street Promotions Dept. for a few months before I went over to Baby Phat in 1999.

My first real music project was "Team Strong Mixtape vol. 1." I teamed up with Legendary female MC Nikki D and DJ Super Star Jay to produce it. Nikki is Def Jam’s first female emcee; the first female that Russell Simmons deemed worth of having a deal with his label. Nikki and I met while we were both working at Baby Phat.

I knew I wanted to be in music since I was maybe 14 or 15. Somewhere around then I got into the youth choir at church and that really helped me realize that I loved performing. I also played the Plant in "the Little Shop of Horrors" production. All of those little things were what let me know this is what I want to do, reaffirmations in a respect.

I’m a Gemini. My personality, is seriously all over the place. If I could change anything, I would like to be more focused. However, as an artist, it comes with the territory. Add the fact that I’m a Gemini, I’m basically ADHD Squared! Don’t get me wrong, I’m super-efficient but I am also a huge procrastinator sometimes , so things can get a little hectic at times.


I treat everyone the same. The people you see on your way to the top are the same people you see on your way back down. I’ve heard a lot of things through the years, but that is the most basic for someone who is just beginning. Sometime people get blinded by the spotlight and think that they are bigger than they actually are. They treat people so wrong that it’s kind of impossible for them to stay in the game. That Amateur Arrogance is not the way to longevity.

Right Now I am currently working on my new mixtape, "Shaun of The Dead", which will be ready sometime this fall. We are also working on Nikki D’s mixtape and gearing up to drop an official single real soon. We’re always working on something. People out there can keep posted on my website, www.shaunpynne.com, twitter, youtube, facebook, Reverbnation and some other places I can’t remember right now; I’m Shaunpynne everywhere. We’re also gearing up for Fashion Week NYC, hoping to catch a few good shows.