Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rapper Rocko Considering Signing To EPIC



With the recent release of his DJ Scream-hosted mixtape, Gift of Gab, which features the clubbanger “Squares Out Your Circle,” Rocko tells BET.com that he’s ready to wear his artist cap one more time.

“Personally I like being a CEO better,” Rocko admits. “I like being behind the scenes, I never really wanted to be in front of the camera but it's a job and it pays me well so I've got to capitalize off it. God blessed me with the gift of gab to be able to write rhymes and deliver them. He blessed me with a stage presence, so I've got to capitalize off all my talents.”

Rocko worked out a deal to join the newly revamped Epic Records. The agreement between A1 Recordings and Epic opened the door for Rocko to do business with his former Def Jam boss L.A. Reid, who now serves as Chairman and CEO of Epic Records. Naturally, the idea that Rocko would reunite with Reid as a solo artist on Epic comes to mind, but it’s something the ATLien is still contemplating.

"I'm not sure you know. We've been talking about it; they want me to come over to Epic,” he says of the conversations with the label. “I'm independent right now with my project and I'm really loving my independence, but if I do decide to do a deal it may be at Epic, it may be in that Sony building somewhere."

Though his label situation remains unsettled, the big picture goal is to release new material that’ll pave the way for his sophomore offering, One on One. With that in mind, Rocko is making a conscious effort to step his game up on the artist end to match his drive as an exec.

 While fans wait for One on One, which is scheduled for release later this year, they can check out Rocko’s more well-rounded approach on Gift of Gab. The brash rapper/producer promises that the mixtape will be an earnest example of what’s to come.
“I'm sincere about what I say and how I say it,” he boasts. “That’s the only way I'm going to go in the booth...when I'm being sincere.”