Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Paranormal State Star Comes Out as Bisexual



According to EW, Ryan Buell - the star of A&E docuseries Paranormal State - reveals that he is bisexual in his new book Paranormal State: My Journey Into the Unknown. He also discusses his Catholicism and his struggle to reconcile his religion with his sexuality:
“I’ve decided to share my sexuality and struggle over faith in hopes that others will no longer feel as though they are alone or that they can’t be religious.”
I've watched Paranormal State before - mainly because Buell and his "researchers" are students or alumni of Penn State - my alma mater.  In fact, in the picture above, Buell is standing in front of Old Main - the building which houses the university President's office and other administrative offices.  And back in my day, the area in front of Old Main was a PRIME cruising ground after dark.  Not that I would know or anything...

Actually, the steps in front of Old Main was the very first place I met/hung out with a group of openly gay men.  On Friday and Saturday nights, a bunch of guys would gather on the steps to watch all the cruising, critique people's outfits, and generally act catty (you know how we do) - and I became part of the group.  Since I was in the closet during college, it was a BIG first step for me to actually hang out with these guys.  Granted, it was pretty late at night and the chances of one of my straight buddies walking past was pretty slim (all my friends lived off-campus at that point) - but it was still a big deal for me.  In fact, a couple of guys I met there became good friends even after college.

Anywhore, I just think it's kind of funny that bisexual Ryan had his picture taken in that particular spot.  Maybe he was planning on meeting "the girls" later.

Oh, one last thing, I once drunkenly passed out pretty much exactly where Ryan is standing - and slept there in a rum-induced coma until morning.