Sunday, July 24, 2011

Artist On The Rise: Stephen Beasley The SBP Project


On The 6th presents an artist on the rise that you should pay attention to Stephen Beasley and The Stephen Beasley Project. Take a minute and get to know this up and coming artist.

In his own words:

I guess if you were to look up Stephen Beasley in some kind of "Dictionary of Life," it would read: A totally deconstructed, humbled but WHOLE man, who creates music on his own terms in collaboration with great people (Ben, Chris & Dave of The sbP).

I was at Showtime at the Apollo in January 2003 I didn't win, but I won. Even though I had been singing since I can remember and music had already taken me to many amazing places. I'd have to say the moment I TRULY knew I belonged on stage was at The Apollo that winter day. Monique was the host then, she followed her dreams and we see where its gotten her. I'm still following mine and they've lead me to a great place in my life!




Since consciousness, I knew making music would always be part of my story.
One of my proudest moments was the live recording of our debut, "The Music of Transition" in September 2008, at a small club on a Wednesday night. The album is rootsy, unpolished and tells the story of hard-earned lessons and I'd like everyone to hear it.


Also being able to perform all the songs I've ever written with The SBP, in Summer of 2010 in the Square Festival in NYC for a crowd of over 1,000 people. Summer in the Square was the debut performance of "Life Takes a While" and "Sad Runner", two of our 2011 singles. They are songs that free me a little more each time I share them with audiences.



Goals I haven't accomplished yet that I plan on too is finding TRUE FANS of The SBP, finding OUR PEOPLE. If you're out there, you know how to find us!

Also recording a high-quality COMPLETELY LIVE Album, with every musician that has helped me along the way, performing in Major Festivals on at least 3 continents, every year and performing at NYC venues like Central Park Summer Stage, and The Allen Room at Jazz at Lincoln Center where I was once an usher.

Even though Ive been writing music since the day I first heard "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" I didn't get SERIOUS about the development of my music until much later, this is a regret of mine. However, "Life as I've Lived It" shines through every song I make and that something satisfying.

Seriously though, I guess I could describe myself as consistent, but not quite "predictable." As far as things I wish I could change, I would be more "smooth." As far as things I HAVE changed and I am now a better and less judgmental listener (I am proud of this.)

What's the best advice anyone has ever given you, and what advice would you give others who are trying to do what your doing?
I have not yet determined whether its the BEST ADVICE of my life, But someone recently told me the following (and so I'll pay it forward). "The Road to Hell is PAVED with Bad Boundaries, The Road back from Hell are paves with Good Boundaries." As far as advice to fellow musicians, Ill give this, move one foot in front of the other. Advice that was given to me through the lyrics of our first 2011 single, "Mirror Love":

I'm also excited to release an intensely personal song, "Hope 4 the Future" sometime in the next month. I'm also coordinating a few projects relating to Diabetes, HIV and Community Theatre through various Non-Profits in Brooklyn, NY.

For More on SBP check out

"The sbP" on Radio stations across the country or on iheartradio.com:
http://www.iheartradio.com/new2/artists/i/339306?psid=470318

The sbP is also on Amazon and just about every other online retailer!

GET "The Music of Transition":
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/the-sbp-the-stephen-beasley/id310761395

GET "Life Takes a While":
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/life-takes-a-while/id444287223?i=444287235&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
GET "Sad Runner":
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sad-runner/id449167944?i=449167951
GET "Mirror Love":
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mirror-love-feat-chris-conly/id418159402