Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Los Suns" To Make Political Statement


The ownership, management and players of the Phoenix Suns have agreed to come out against Arizona's hateful "Show Me Your Papers" law by donning "Los Suns" jerseys in their playoff game tonight.  A perfect way to commemorate Cinco de Mayo.

Player Steve Nash (above right) had this to say:
"I think the law is very misguided. I think it is unfortunately to the detriment of our society and our civil liberties and I think it is very important for us to stand up for things we believe in," Nash said of the bill. "I think the law obviously can target opportunities for racial profiling. Things we don't want to see and don't need to see in 2010."

Sports teams rarely get political (unless they need a new stadium built), so this is a pretty big deal.  And I think I now have a favorite NBA team.